Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The Hugest Book Ever

Did you ever get book expecting one subject only to find it was based on something else? Did the premise challenge your beliefs? Did you come away with a new appreciation for an unexpected concept and tips to make you a more effective person? I just had one of those experiences.

At a recent book sale, I picked up a copy of Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don’t Matter. (Adams, Scott; Penguin Random House, 2017). Expecting some satirical take on President Trump (I’m not a fan) from the author of Dilbert (I am a fan), the book I was expecting was not at all what I read.

Well-written, carefully explained, and thoroughly illustrated with examples from the campaign, Adams explains why Trump was elected. While a basic knowledge of psychology might be helpful, the reader can rest assured that Adams takes terms and simplifies them to a level that most everyone can understand. Concepts such as “cognitive dissonance,” “confirmation bias,” and “persuasion” are the foundation. He then goes on to show how Mr. Trump used these tools to become President Trump. And after reading this you might come away with the idea, as I did, that President Trump is destined for a second term.

The analysis of the Trump victory is the main course. The ability to use those tactics in any situation where you may need to persuade others is the dessert. This is one of those rare books that I will re-read and take notes. My synopsis could never adequately describe the book. I can only highly recommend this to anyone who wants to improve their communication skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment