Thursday, September 12, 2019

The Christian Attorney and Free Speech

The Christ-professing attorney may soon become extinct.  Once again, the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania is recommending a change to the Rules of Professional Conduct.  Yes, attorneys have Rules of Professional Conduct.

The proposed amendment "is intended to make it professional misconduct for a lawyer, in the practice of law, to intentionally manifest bias or prejudice, or engage in harassment or discrimination."  This proposal was made by the Disciplinary Board in the belief that, "it is in the best interests of the profession and the public to amend its rules to formally disapprove the conduct of any lawyer" who engages in such conduct.  In a curious turn, the Board continues that this "does not limit the ability of the lawyer to accept, decline or withdraw from a representation in accordance with Rule 1.16." 

Now, I must admit- I'm a libertarian kind-of guy (person?). I want to be free to live my life, and I want you to be free to live yours. I am pro-life, but if you are not- that is your right. I disagree, but I won't stop you. All I ask is that you don't ask me to participate.

I am, what I am now informed, is a cis-gendered male. Fine. I prefer "male." I don't really care how you identify. You may torture the language in your choice of pronoun and I will do my best to accommodate you. 

I am also a God-inspired-the-whole-Bible believing Christian who affirms that "By the decree of God, for the manifestation of his glory, some men and angels are predestined unto everlasting life, and others fore-ordained to everlasting death." (Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter III, paragraph 3).  I have QUILTBAG (I prefer this acronym over the LGBT...) friends and acquaintances. I love them as fellow humans, but they may undertake actions of which I cannot approve. I also have cis-gendered friends, but they may undertake actions of which I cannot approve. In these cases, I may not- in good faith- represent them.  My life is already one of sin- but I don't need to flaunt these before God.

The Disciplinary Board wants me to take my faith and sacrifice it on the altar of secularism. Or at least not profess my faith too loudly, lest it make someone feel harassed or discriminated against. This seems like letting the camel's nose under the tent. As an attorney, I know there is a difference between a rule and the interpretation of the rule. Once my ability to express myself as a Christian is restricted, it will soon be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment